Machina Labs, founded in 2019 by aerospace and auto industry veterans, is a smart manufacturing company based in Los Angeles, California. Enabled by advancements in artificial intelligence and robotics, Machina Labs is developing software-defined factories of the future. The mission of the company is to develop modular manufacturing solutions that can be reconfigured to manufacture new products simply by changing the software. The company is currently working to build the first commercial robotic sheet metal forming machine. Machina Labs is funded and backed by major investors in the field of AI and Deep Tech.
As a Robotics Engineering Intern, you’ll have an opportunity to work as part of a team that designs, develops, and operates robotic systems that enable the next generation of manufacturing automation. You will be working with outside vendors and other team members to define requirements and put together industrial robotic systems. You'll work with path planning software and strategies for novel manufacturing operations using industrial robotic systems. You will also contribute to integrating tooling and sensors (ATI, Keyence, etc.) and develop closed loop control software to optimize process parameters in real time. A high degree of autonomy, ownership and willingness to learn is required.
- Identify project priorities, software/hardware requirements and design constraints with team members across multiple disciplines and translate those into minimum viable systems.
- Take part in design review meetings and provide feedback to team.
- Design software for path planning and control of robotic end-effectors.
- Operate robots using your software and enable other team members to efficiently interface with the robots to test and implement new features.
- Design, implement, and integrate sensors and supporting software / firmware.
- Rapidly develop prototypes to verify design concepts and constraints, and balance design efforts with short- and long-term objectives.
- Take part in the software development effort and take charge of the full software development lifecycle.
- Experience in Robotics, Controls and Motion Planning, Simulation, and Sensor Integration.
- Experience in statistical method for model complex systems (Machine Learning)
- Experience developing real-time software and familiarity with software development design paradigms such as OO, functional, etc.
- Solid understanding of robot Kinematics and Dynamics
- Experience with Robotic Software Frameworks such as ROS
- Experience with software development lifecycle in a team (code reviews, version control, tests)
- Understanding of manufacturing processes and process instrumentation
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering or related engineering fields
Nice to Have’s
- Experience with CAD / CAM packages, specifically OnShape, Solidworks, or PowerMill
- Experience with industrial robots such as Kuka
- Experience with manufacturing processes such as milling, printing, welding, etc.
$23 - $35 an hour