What is Fizz
Fizz is a social app that allows students to connect with their campus. Each Fizz community has a private and moderated feed of anonymous posts, authored by verified students, providing the most entertaining, relatable, and interesting conversations about student life.
Students can post questions, memes, polls, and chat with other verified students while maintaining control over their identity and privacy. Fizz communities prioritize safety, authenticity, and inclusion through community-based moderation.
Founded by two Stanford dropouts, Fizz is currently expanding to colleges across the US with a mission to redefine the “social network” in a time when legacy platforms lack authenticity and are filled with curated highlight reels.
What we’ve done
We first launched Fizz at Stanford in July 2021 and have since seen >95% of undergraduates join the app, half of which use Fizz every day. Since then, we have raised over $41 million from NEA, Owl Ventures, and Lightspeed, built a rock-solid engineering team with decades of experience at top tech companies, and expanded Fizz to be the dominant community platform at 200+ colleges.
Where we’re going
Our near term goal is to expand to all US universities by the end of 2024, and continue to reimagine Fizz as the most useful platform for college communities and beyond.
As a Fizz intern, you will be able to use your own experience of being a Fizz user to directly build for a product you care about. If you are proactive and driven to tackle challenging technical problems, have a passion for crafting high-quality software, and are eager to learn quickly and build new products from scratch, this internship is perfect for you. Interns will be compensated financially and work full time out of our Palo Alto office.
- Prototype, design, develop and productionize Machine Learning solutions
- Design, develop and productionize data pipelines for solving real world ML problems
- Keep up to date with cutting-edge research in relevant fields and adapt solutions for large scale user facing problems
- Work with other engineers closely to integrate ML components to the product workflow
- Work closely with senior engineers to support and iterate fast on the solutions and measure the impact
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelors, Masters or Post Graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics or relevant field
- Have strong Computer Science background with academic or real world experience in Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Computer Vision or other related fields
- Have theoretical understanding and academic experience in developing ML solutions approaches such as Tree models, Deep neural networks, Sequence modeling, Transformers, LLMs
- Familiarity with PyTorch, TensorFlow or other relevant DL frameworks
- Experience working with User-Generated Content
- Familiarity with large-scale systems and data such as Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Kafka
- Familiarity with GCP, Vertex AI and other GCP offerings
$40 - $50 an hour
Fizz is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant, candidate, or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.