At Loblaw Digital, we know that our customers expect the best from us. Whether that means building the best, most innovative online shopping experiences, or designing an app that will impact the lives of people across the country, we’re up for the challenge. Loblaw Digital is the team responsible for building and operating the online businesses of Canada’s largest and most successful retailer. Based in downtown Toronto, we are an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and collaborative team working towards transforming the way Canadians shop by creating leading eCommerce experiences in the online grocery shopping, beauty, pharmacy, loyalty, and apparel spaces, and we’re only just getting started! To achieve these goals, we are looking for talented and passionate individuals who want to collaborate and solve challenging problems and make significant and lasting impact on Canadians.
As a Senior Machine Learning Engineer on our team, you will use an abundance of data from the Loblaw enterprise in order to build machine learning solutions. Your team will collaborate with business stakeholders and engineers within Loblaw Digital to deliver models to production that help in driving our Ecommerce business including Search, Ranking, Recommendations, Media and Supply Chain optimization. You will have the opportunities to work with emerging AI technologies, e.g. Generative AI, LLM, RL, etc. You will own the end-to-end Machine learning development life cycle, from data exploration, model training, to model serving and metric tracking for the next iteration. You will design experiments to measure your success with KPIs that include adoption, conversion & retention.
What you’ll do
- Build robust, scalable, high performance Prediction, optimization and Recommendation ML solutions based on massive structured and unstructured data from various sources.
- Collaborate with ML platform and product engineers to build scalable and efficient machine learning systems in the production environment.
- Work cross-functionally with product and business teams on new innovative features for ad targeting and bidding to optimize advertisement performance as well as gather data and requirement and define success.
- Provide mentorship to other members of the team.
- Represent the team with technical leadership in collaborations with other software development teams
Does this sound like you?
- MS or PhD in a STEM field — especially computer science — or equivalent work experience in a Data Scientist/Machine Learning Engineer or closely related role.
- Strong experience with advanced data science analytics and machine learning best practices.
- Work experience on deploying machine learning models and tracking performance in production by following software development standards.
- Creative, resourceful, and productive problem-solver.
- Able to work independently and collaboratively.
- Passion for building ML solutions to fluid, open-ended problems.
- Previous experience building large scale Search Models as well as ranking/recommendation systems.
- Previous experience working in Adtech and NLP is a plus.
- Comfortable with advanced SQL querying.
- Proficient in Python and familiar with a compiled language.
- Experience with big-data tools, e.g. Spark, Beam, Kafka.
- Experience with data viz tools such as Tableau, Looker, etc.
How you’ll succeed
At Loblaw Digital, we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections. We’re able to keep innovating because our colleagues are passionate about their work and excited about the future of eCommerce. You will get to work with some of the best digital minds and will have the support of world class technologies to craft products our customers will love!
Loblaw Digital recognizes Canada's diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired. In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.