StreetLight pioneered the use of Big Data analytics to shed light on how people, goods, and services move, empowering smarter, data-driven transportation decisions. The company applies proprietary machine-learning algorithms and data processing resources to measure travel patterns of vehicles, bicycles and pedestrians that enable complex transportation problem solving using analytics available on SaaS platform, StreetLight InSight®. Acquired by Jacobs as a subsidiary in February 2022, StreetLight continues to provide innovative digital solutions to help communities reduce congestion, improve safe and equitable transportation, and maximize the positive impact of infrastructure investment.
As a Data Scientist on our Services team, your role will be vital in shaping our services offerings. You will directly influence the success of our customers by developing data-driven solutions tailored to their unique needs. Utilizing your data science expertise, you will be tasked not only with the creation of these solutions but also with the proactive identification and validation of potential new services offerings.
In this role, you will harness the power of StreetLight's extensive repository of transportation data, formulating efficient queries to deliver the answers our customers seek. Employing innovative visualization techniques and synthesizing diverse data sets, you willprovide comprehensive insights. As a key contributor to our lean launch program, your data insights will enable the identification, prototyping, and validation of new product concepts.
Location: We are flexible on the location of this position - it could be in any one of our corporate offices, or remote within the US or Canada.
- Design and refine algorithms to infer key transportation patterns from various data sources, including both StreetLight's proprietary data and metrics, as well as external data. Apply these insights to explore and validate potential new services offerings.
- Research, implement, and optimize suitable strategies for tackling data science problems
- Use advanced statistical tools for the analysis and validation of results, ensuring the viability of potential new services and lean launch prototypes.
- Effectively communicate final results to stakeholders, providing thorough documentation and supporting interactive visualizations of data for informed decision-making.
- Collaborate closely with Sales, Solutions Engineers, and Account Management to translate customer requests into clearly defined, timely outputs that exceed customer expectations.
- As part of a dynamic team at StreetLight, proactively identify opportunities for process improvements and contribute to the evolution of our service offerings.
Qualification & Skills
- BS / MS in Computer Science, Mathematics, or an Engineering discipline from a top university.
- Proficiency in Python with 5+ years of experience, including familiarity with data-focused libraries such as pandas, NumPy, SciPy, and scikit-learn.
- Experience with relational databases and SQL, including a strong understanding of concepts. Familiarity with BigQuery is preferred.
- Solid understanding of techniques in data science, including machine learning algorithms, forecasting, regression analysis, etc.
- Expertise in data visualization, preferably with experience using ArcGIS for web mapping and interactive dashboard creation.
- Ability to accurately estimate the time requirements for complex tasks, meet those targets, and make compromises to enable scalability and productization of algorithms.
- Familiarity with software engineering principles, reflecting an understanding of how robust, scalable systems are built.
- Knowledge of geospatial data, statistics, and experience with geospatial databases such as PostGIS is a plus.
- Experience with transportation data/industry is a plus. This includes working in a transportation-focused role within government, consulting, private-sector mobility, or a non-profit.
- Strong communication skills - written, visual (presentations, charts, maps), and verbal.
The base salary range for this position is $140,000 to $150,000. This range reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations (remote). Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
Interested? StreetLight Data offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
StreetLight Data is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. StreetLight provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.