One Concern is a remote-first benevolent artificial intelligence company with a mission to increase the global community's resilience to natural hazards. Founded at Stanford University, One Concern enables cities, corporations, and citizens to embrace a disaster-free future through AI-enabled technology, policy, and finance. By combining data science and natural phenomena science we are pursuing a vision for planetary-scale resilience, where everyone lives in a safe, equitable, and sustainable world.
One Concern is growing rapidly and we are looking for a passionate and motivated Data Scientist for Resilience Modeling to join our team.
What you will do
- Build a global-scale resilience model to predict the societal and economic impact and recovery of the built environment against disasters
- Build and improve existing impact and recovery models
- Work with and support domain experts and data scientists in different hazard products
- Demonstrate up-to-date machine learning skills and apply this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans
- Assess the potential usefulness and validity of new statistical approaches and data sources.
- Identify key problems in prediction models and propose innovative solutions
- Formulate your own problems as the problem might not always be defined for you
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of software engineers and data scientists on cross-functional projects, interpreting data, and translating into actionable insights
- Ph.D. (preferred) or Master’s degree in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, Science or related field
- Strong background in machine learning, statistics, and quantitative analytics
- Experience in developing machine-learning models and/or statistical/probabilistic models
- Proficient in Python
Good to have
- Research experience in the latest resilience modeling, technical guidelines, etc.
- Experience in developing scalable and generalized models
- Deep knowledge of power/water transmission and distribution system design or fragility
- Strong publication record
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.