About the Chief Digital and Artificial Intelligence Office
The Chief Digital and Artificial Intelligence Office (CDAO) is a Principal Staff Assistant (PSA) responsible for the acceleration of the adoption of data, analytics, and Artificial Intelligence (AI) to generate decision advantage across the Department of Defense (DoD). The Joint Artificial Intelligence Center (JAIC), Defense Digital Services (DDS), Chief Data Office (CDO), and forward-leaning programs of record including Advana have officially joined together to form one organization – the CDAO! The CDAO is established to enable the Military Departments and Services, Joint Staff, Combatant Commands (CCMDs), Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD), and other DoD Components, to swiftly introduce new capabilities and effectively experiment with new operational concepts in support of DoD's warfighting missions.
The CDAO Assess and Assure Division provides expertise in the testing of AI and AI-enabled systems for the DoD and utilizes knowledge of AI testing to accelerate the acquisition of AI technology by the Department. As an Adversarial AI Engineer, you will play a crucial role in proactively identifying attack simulations and conducting red teaming exercises. You will lead development of tools that test the resilience of AI-enabled systems and creating best practices to protect against evolving threats.
This position is a DoD Cyber Excepted Service (CES) personnel system position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1599f and does not convey eligibility to be converted to the Competitive Service. The pay grade for this role is GG 14.
This role will close for submissions on October 23rd, 2023.
What you'll do here:
- Develop and implement test tools that evaluate the resilience of an AI-enabled system to adversarial attacks.
- Conduct red teaming exercises to assess the security of AI models, AI-enabled systems, and operationally realistic scenarios.
- Collaborate with industry, academia, and government subject matter experts to identify potential threats and vulnerabilities and create test tools that assess their impact and likelihood.
- Manage a team that builds and maintains tools, scripts, and frameworks to automate the evaluation and resilience of AI-enabled systems to adversarial attacks.
- Work on solutions to enhance defense mechanisms, such as anomaly detection, intrusion detection systems, and threat intelligence for AI models.
- Generate comprehensive reports and documentation of red teaming exercises, including findings, vulnerabilities, and recommendations for remediation.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in AI to continuously improve attack techniques and defense strategies.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including cybersecurity experts, AI model developers, AI model users, and test engineers, to provide insights and recommendations for improving adversarial AI defenses.
- Strong programming skills, especially in languages like Python and C++.
- Proficiency in machine learning and AI technologies.
- In-depth knowledge of adversarial AI concepts, threats, and defensive measures.
- Experience with penetration testing and ethical hacking.
- Familiarity with adversarial AI and cybersecurity frameworks and standards (e.g., NIST, MITRE ATT&CK, MITRE ATLAS).
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong communication skills to articulate findings and recommendations effectively.
- Demonstrated expertise in Adversarial AI threat landscape as shown by publications, work experience, etc.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Candidate is encouraged to provide e-portfolio, project samples, Github, etc. to their submission package.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see https://www.sss.gov/Home/Registration)
- This position is subject to provisions of the WHS/OSD PPP Pilot Program.
- A three year trial period may be required if not previously completed a trial or probationary period in the excepted or competitive service.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Required to participate in the direct deposit program.
- This position is subject to pre-employment and random drug testing.
- This position is being recruited under 10 USC 1599f into the Cyber Excepted Service and does NOT convey eligibility to be converted to the Competitive Service.
- For more information on the Cyber Excepted Service Personnel System, click here https://public.cyber.mil/cw/dod-cyber-excepted-service-ces/
- This position requires a Top Secret/ Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) security clearance.
- This position may require work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays and/or mandatory overtime.
- This position may occasionally require travel away from the normal duty station via military or commercial aircraft.